On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Jansen, Frank wrote:

It is not possible to flip a bit to change a set of disks from RAID 1 to
RAID 5, as the physical layout is different.

As Tuomas pointed out though, a 2 disk RAID5 is kind of a special case where all you have is data and parity which is actually also just data. Seems kind of like a RAID1 with extra overhead. I don't think I've ever heard of a RAID5 implementation willing to handle <3 drives though.

I suspect I should have just kept out of this, and waited for someone like Neil to answer authoratatively.

So...Neil, what's the right answer to Tuomas's 2 disk RAID5 question? :)