On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> > I wonder what the fastest speed any linux software raid has gotten, it
> > would be great if the limitation was a hardware limitation i.e. cpu,
> > (scsi/ide) interface speed, number of (scsi/ide) interfaces, drive
> > speed. It would be interesting to see how close software raid could get
> > to its hardware limitations.
>
> RAID0 seemed to scale rather linearly.  I don't think there would be
> much of a problem getting over 100mbits/sec on an array of 8-10 ultra2
> wide drives.  I ultimately stopped fiddling with software RAID on my
> production boxes as I needed something that would reliably do hot
> swapping of dead drives.  So I've switched to using Mylex ExtremeRAID
> 1100 cards instead (certainly not the card you want to use for low
> budget applications...heh).

        Umm, I can get 13,000K/sec to/from ext2 from a *single*
UltraWide Cheeta (best case, *long* reads, no seeks).  100Mbit is only
12,500K/sec.

        A 4 drive UltraWide Cheeta array will top out an UltraWide bus
at 40MByte/sec, over 3 times the max rate of a 100Mbit ethernet.

---
As folks might have suspected, not much survives except roaches,
and they don't carry large enough packets fast enough...
        --About the Internet and nuclear war.