Hello,

On 16 January 2015 at 13:33, Lars Doelle <lars.doe...@on-line.de> wrote:
> Hi Maxime,
>

>> > working on the dts for an A20 device, I'm currently at the nand.
>> I assume you are aware of the current state of the NAND, right?
>
> Not exactly, so I better be explicit. I assume, that the linux-sunxi
> /dev/nand driver does not do any wear-level mapping on the first
> blocks.
>
> Thus I'd be able to read the first MB out by both /dev/nand in
> linux-sunxi and by the mtd driver in mainline with identical results.

Only the MTD driver gives access to those blocks. /dev/nand is the
block device which does wear levelling and excludes this area.

> Further, I have a yet unused NAND on a Lime2 board, so I could dare
> to test writing to some higher addresses. That's about the experiment
> I plan to do initially.
>
> I'm aware, that the first sectors are precious for the boot process
> and must be preserved, but they could be restored via FEX-boot in
> case I break them by wrong pin settings or whatever else.

You can restore them either by using the MTD driver (untested) or
flashing with livesuit.

> I've not researched whether ubi would touch the boot sector, and
> I will not try to install any fs before making sure, that it is preserved.
> I'm booting from a SD anyway, so it is only boot0 that I have to care
> for to keep the device operational. But that is all a different construction
> site.

The MTD driver should preserve the sectors but when MTD is used these
sectors should contain a bootloader (SPL) that understands MTD. I am
not aware of any such bootloader for sunxi hardware but once the sunxi
nand driver is ported from Linux to u-boot it should be possible to
build one.

Thanks

Michal