gspca is around 10 years old and it pre-dates UVC.

The 291 image chip can take higher resolution stills, but mine only
has a 720P sensor on it.
The 292 image chip has similar performance at 1080P.

I have wasted far too much time trying to get Allwinner cameras
working properly and I won't touch them any more.

Our current product uses a more advanced camera similar to this one:
http://world.taobao.com/item/521668890252.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.ekoWOi#detail
But these boards are too hard to interface with for casual use. The
main advantage to these chips is that they can simultaneously provide
three versions of the h.264 stream at different resolutions. The Sonix
chips are single stream but far easier to use.

This is cheapest, decent h.264 720P camera I camera I am aware of - $6.12
http://world.taobao.com/item/527850462938.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.d9CEzd#detail
You would need to attach to it using Ethernet, USB access requires
custom firmware.

Here are all of the modes supported by the 291 chips.
Note that it supports 720P30 h.264

this first mode is uncompressed, 480Mb USB limits it to 720P5
jonsmirl@terra:/work/gm/linux-3.3-fa$ v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video1 --list-formats-ext
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT
Index       : 0
Type        : Video Capture
Pixel Format: 'YUYV'
Name        : YUYV 4:2:2
Size: Discrete 1280x720
Interval: Discrete 0.200s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 640x480
Interval: Discrete 0.033s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 320x240
Interval: Discrete 0.033s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200s (5.000 fps)

Both MJPG and h.264 work at 720P30.
Index       : 1
Type        : Video Capture
Pixel Format: 'MJPG' (compressed)
Name        : Motion-JPEG
Size: Discrete 1280x720
Interval: Discrete 0.033s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 640x480
Interval: Discrete 0.033s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200s (5.000 fps)
Size: Discrete 320x240
Interval: Discrete 0.033s (30.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.050s (20.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.067s (15.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.100s (10.000 fps)
Interval: Discrete 0.200s (5.000 fps)

jonsmirl@terra:/work/gm/linux-3.3-fa$ v4l2-ctl -d /dev/video2 --list-formats-ext
ioctl: VIDIOC_ENUM_FMT
Index       : 0
Type        : Video Capture
Pixel Format: 'H264' (compressed)
Name        : H.264
Size: Discrete 1280x720

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 8:49 AM, @lex <alex.mob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jon.
>
> I have some thoughts on this proposed hardware solution:
>
> * This camera will not be recognized as uvc usb device, unless you add it to
> the device list, no big deal i think.
> Your kernel is 3.3 but i think you or someone else already added it to uvc
> device list. (i may be wrong),
>
> * Orange PI ONE has only one USB, so you will need to access the device
> remotely,
>
> * Grabbing the video can be done with V4l2 as usual,
>
> * I tested here a usb Labtec gspca camera which is VGA JPEG 30 FPS, and its
> performance is about ~9 fps, that means USB camera tend to perform below
> specifications when not in Desktop, may be the usb bandwidth is a
> constraint,
>
> * Original OPI camera is $ 5.90 while the one you pointed is $ 8.52 plus
> some usb cable and may need some wiring/soldering,
>
> * Logitec is out of question, i cannot get one for less than $ 100.00. And
> considering spending $ 10.00 / 15.00 on a sbc board and another $ 100.00 is
> only viable if you don't want to mess with software.
>
> * No tinkering, no learning and no solution for the upcoming Allwinner new
> devices going this route.
>
> So, guys lets's get back to work, the fight is not over yet.
>
> @lex
>

> On Friday, March 11, 2016 at 8:49:42 PM UTC-3, Jon Smirl wrote:
>>
>> [33718.237465] usb 2-5.1: new high-speed USB device number 12 using
>> ehci-pci
>> [33718.782014] usb 2-5.1: new high-speed USB device number 13 using
>> ehci-pci
>> [33719.121687] usb 2-5.1: New USB device found, idVendor=18e3,
>> idProduct=5100
>> [33719.121692] usb 2-5.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=1,
>> SerialNumber=3
>> [33719.121696] usb 2-5.1: Product: USB 2.0 Camera
>> [33719.121698] usb 2-5.1: Manufacturer: Sonix Technology Co., Ltd.
>> [33719.121701] usb 2-5.1: SerialNumber: SN0001
>> [33719.122631] uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.00 device USB 2.0 Camera (18e3:5100)
>> [33719.146885] uvcvideo: Unable to create debugfs 2-13 directory.
>> [33719.147213] input: USB 2.0 Camera as
>> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-5/2-5.1/2-5.1:1.0/input/input15
>> jonsmirl@terra:/work/gm/linux-3.3-fa$
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 6:26 PM, @lex <alex....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can you please tell me the idVendor and idProduct for this camera?

>> > --
>>

>> --
>> Jon Smirl
>> jons...@gmail.com