On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 2:18 PM, Manuel Braga <mul.br...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 05:53:36 -0800 (PST) Rosimildo DaSilva
> <rosimi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I did not mention, but I founf two issues withe blobs:
>>
>> a) Motion Detection causes segmentation fault, whenever enabled.
>> b) FFMPEG complains that timestamp ( PTS/DTS ) are missing on the
>> H264 stream generated by the encoder... I've tried many things ( code
>> is commented out ), but nothing worked.
>
> There is another issue, that i believe to be important.
> But for whatever reasons, it has to be constantly remembered about its
> existence.
>
> And that issue is:
>
>   c) The proprietaries binary blobs don't have a clear license attached.
>
> And in the copyright law, any "things" with "no license" by default fell
> in the "all rights reserved".

I gave up fighting with Allwinner's encoder long ago. It is far easier
to just plug in a USB based h.264 camera. You can easily buy ones from
Logitech for $50.

If you want it at the hardware level, look at chips from Sonix. Here
is a board based on the SN9C291 for $8.50. The bare chips are about
$4.
https://world.taobao.com/item/40004211822.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.zGiipg#detail

Note that this PCBA is the same price as most bare image sensors
mounted on a flex cable. Plus I find it much easier to wire things
with a simple USB cable instead of an FFC.

The Sonix chips will appear as USB UVC devices when plugged into Linux
and they will need no special drivers. They also work on Windows.

> --
> Manuel Braga
>
> --

Jon Smirl