Hi,

On 17/10/16 14:08, Ciprian Manea wrote:
> Hi Andre,
>
>   Thanks for your answer!
> The thing is that there are a lot of libs&apps in the image and is
> bigger than the available RAM.
> If there's no way to flash the eMMC through the sunxi tools, is there a
> way to boot over an USB storage device
> and flash an image that is store on the USB storage to the eMMC ?

Yes, that's what I wanted to say in the first message.
You can either fully boot into Linux (for instance using an initrd,
root-over-NFS, root-on-SD card or root-on-USB) and do the flashing from
there. Or you do it from U-Boot as I described, with the same options,
bascially.
If your image is bigger than the DRAM, you can still load in smaller
chunks in U-Boot and do the writing accordingly, though this sound
tedious to automate. I don't think U-Boot supports direct copying from
one medium to another.
Given that I think it might be easier to boot into Linux, because it
doesn't have that restriction (dd if=image.file of=/dev/mmcblk1) and is
also easier to automate.

>   And there are the phoenix tools. Are these of any use for flashing
> Linux images?

I have no idea, and frankly don't really care ;-)

But since you are the second person in two weeks asking me that, I think
there is some case for providing some GUI wrapper or at least some
wrapper script around sunxi-fel to tackle that use case.

Cheers,
Andre.