> From: "Christopher Hoover" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:58:50 -0700

> > So all I/O buffers _must_ be allocated using kmalloc()
>
> Use GFP_DMA flag on the kmalloc() call, too, whenever possible.
> This will help avoid bounce buffering on some systems.

Wrong!!! Where did you get this idiotic idea? NEVER use GFP_DMA if
you can help it. It allocates from zone[0] and creates pressure on it.

-- Pete

P.S. For the record, GFP_DMA is needed when a device does not
have enough addressing capability to reach normal memory _and_
there is no MMU in the picture. Thus, it's a short list:
 1. Non-busmastering DMA for ISA devices on x86
 2. CCW on s390 (but not IDALs)
 3. SAC PCI DMA on Itanic with no MMU, such as SGI SN-2
This is _it_! No more cases to use GFP_DMA!