Hello Everyone

It's clear that there is no CLUG, but many people before me have
expressed surprise at that and like me have looked to improve the
function of the local Linux community by doing some very obvious
things.

Nick Elder :
"I MOVE THAT THE CLUG MEETING THIS COMING WEDNESDAY BE A GENERAL
MEETING  AND THAT AT THIS MEETING WE FORM AN EXECUTIVE !"

Christopher Sawtell:
"I second that!"

So at least two people assume that something exists that needs a
committee, and forgive my ignorance but I thought is was the CLUG.

Never mind.  There are some things the require formal process.
Creating the organisation called the CLUG is easy.  Someone moves a
motion "that the CLUG be formed" and if that gets support it's done.

There are a few details to tidy up, but since it's all common sense
stuff it should take about 10 minutes, not three hours.

Something like this:

"That the five man committee appointed on 29 January 2003 be
recognised as the Executive Committee of CLUG."

"That the  Executive Committee of the CLUG invite into it's
membership as non-voting members as many other people as it needs to
run the CLUG effectively."

"That the Executive Committee of the CLUG appoint one of their number
to be a Chairman"

"That the other four members of the Executive Committee consider how
they might best contribute to the development of the CLUG, and agree
among themselves to adopt appropriate roles and responsibilities."

"That the CLUG Executive Committee report back to the CLUG no later
than September 30 2003, on suggested administrative rules for the
CLUG which will cover such things as the purpose, the role of the
Executive Committee, power to form sub committees, control of CLUG
assets and a procedure for winding up the CLUG is that is required at
some future date."

There should be nothing controversial in the above suggestion.  All
the "power" of the Executive Committee is in the hands of the five
people already appointed who group members already know, respect and
trust.  Since we are doing some new things it might be beneficial to
use "trust" for a while, while we develop a few rules.

I'm personally against establishing an Incorporated Society, that's
unnecessary unless we have assets, loans, and/or substantial
property.  I would also caution you against adopting the sort of
rules law firms typically offer organisations.  Those rules are
designed to protect ownership, and to avoid legal battles (or cause
legal battles) over things like membership rights.

Good rules give members power.  Good rules ensure that the people
elected by the members have defined roles.  Good rules ensure that
nobody remains in the same executive position year on year.  Good
rules require the executive to train ordinary members to be executive
members.  Executive members are themselves preparing to be Chair or
President of Chief Penguin or whatever you call the role of the
senior executive member.  (There needs to be rules about money and
assets too, but that's not the key thing.)  Good rules are used every
time the Executive Committee or the organisation as a whole does
something. (Sadly the sort of rules most of you know are thrown in a
draw after they come back from the lawyer and are never referred to
again unless there's a serious money problem.)

Once again none of those principles should be controversial.  The aim
of the CLUG is primarily educational, and the organisation is
controlled by it's members.  You don't have to join, but if you would
like to join I'm sure someone will make you welcome.

Regards
John

John S. Veitch
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]