I was in Sydney airport some hours ago (I don't know how many, I think I've crossed every single dateline in the last 2 days).

Anyway, my point is that at Sydney airport, Optus were providing free internet kiosks with Ubuntu. The browser button to "clear private data" appeared to be an X restart and then a reboot the OS. I don't know what the browser was, it wasn't Firefox and I've never used Opera.

Cheers,
Michael.

Stephen Irons wrote:
I had to spend 7 hours in transit at Perth airport -- not much to do but use the free internet kiosk. There was a little note attached to the keyboard

  If the system has locked up, press ctrl-alt-backspace

Oh, ctrl-alt-backspace is a feature, because it is documented somewhere.

Anyway, I did it, and sure enough, X restarted, and autologged-in as 'kioskuser'. It seemed to be running Opera, although there was no title bar or menu bar. There was a button labelled 'Delete Private Data' which I pressed: this rebooted the whole machine.

On the plane with my family, one of our entertainment terminals restarted in the middle of a movie, showing linux restarting.

There was a USB socket on the seat next to the display. The airline magazine said that you could plug in a USB stick, ipod, etc and use it to play music or view photos. My son inserted his flash drive, opened a photo, and ... the thing locked up. So I got out the control device (used for playing games, or, in $$$ class, for sending emails), to see if I could find ctrl-alt-delete or ctrl-alt-backspace. No, but there was function-alt-backspace, so I pressed those.

X restarted, leaving the grey background and the cross-shaped mouse cursor when /etc/X/config-whatever file is bad, and we could do nothing more with the terminal.

The cabin crew said they could restart it 'in the galley', but after trying two or three times, and asking if we had seen lots of writing on the display, we could not get it going again. I explained the situation (...and I pressed a whole bunch of random keys on the keyboard, including this one, that one and that other one...), but we had to use that seat for sleeping in.

Stephen Irons