Hi People

I found this on The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #178

NZ school ditches Microsoft and goes totally open source

A New Zealand high school running entirely on open source software has
slashed its server requirements by a factor of almost 50, despite a
government deal mandating the use of Microsoft software in all schools.
Albany Senior High School in the northern suburbs of Auckland has been
running an entirely open source infrastructure since it opened in 2009.
The 230-pupil school was set up to follow open learning principles,
offering large "learning commons" areas where multiple classes interact
rather than conventional classrooms and setting aside one day each week
for pupils to work on self-driven research projects. The implementation
uses Ubuntu on the desktop.

http://www.cio.com.au/article/333686/nz_school_ditches_microsoft_goes_totally_open_source?pp=1

My two cents of wondering Due to the Bulk funding blah blah blah that
started in around 1993-4. One begs to ask was the government legally
entitled to do this taking a schools choice away from what they could
run.?
Does anyone have a link to this Government deal with Microsoft?

Just thought I'd post this to say well done to a school giving linux a
fairgo.

This might explain why the open polytechnic only offers NZQA for
Microsoft applications, well did when I last looked.

Cheers

Tom