On May 26, 2002 04:55 pm, Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> The "state of the domain" report doesn't even list namecheap or
> buydomains or their parent companies in their Q1 2002 report. (the
> smallest registrars listed have less than 12 domains registered)
> Unless they're just reselling someone else's service (most commonly
> Tucows), this is ominous.  Namecheap doesn't even run their own DNS
> servers.

Namecheap is an eNom reseller.  Namecheap has been around a fair while and
eNom, the company they resell for, is currently ranked 8th in market share in
this report (prediction to make 7th).  The report also lists eNom as the
second fastest growing registrar (after godaddy)

I was attempting to figure out who buydomains.com was reselling for and
incidentally I just ran across a message in a mailing list
(http://www.opensrs.org/archives/discuss-list/0201/0552.html) suggesting that
buydomains.com has been spamming people.

> For individuals who just want to play around with a domain for
> personal use and it's not critical to them (but price is), the world

As a student, cost ranks fairly high on the list of features that I look for
in a domain registrar.  I've however made a point that, before committing to
anything, I attempt to uncover a little bit of background information about
the companies that I'm dealing with.

David Aikema