No.  I know that on the Mustek MDC800 camera, you (can?) use gphoto, set
it up as a MDC800 (or MDC8000) camera, and for the path, use
/dev/usb/mdc800
I know this works.  I am not aware whether this camera can be mounted and
accessed like a disk.  But the point is, this camera is a
serial-like-camera, regardless of whether you use a Standard Serial port
or a Universal Serial Bus.