I'm not sure what you need to read up on....  What I've told you is
basically the "generic Linux" information.  As stated, each distro either
does or doesn't do sub-interfaces using their own GUI tools, but finding
docs on that would be specific to your distro.  I am not sure about
WebMin.  That might be a good way to do it and read about it if available.

As for your server, be sure you use IPChains or NetFilter (preferred) to
secure that server.  Allow only what's necessary from the outside and drop
everything else.   A quick Google search doesn't turn up anything
immediately interesting about subinterfaces for Linux.  Perhaps a good
book?

Subinterfaces can be used for one of two (At least two that I use them
for) purposes:
1) To make one NIC talk on the same WIRE for multiple SUBNETs.  This is
good for firewalls on a stick or other situations where a "secondary"
subnet exists on the same physical local network.  This is typically used
in Routing.
2) To make one NIC answer on the same WIRE for multiple IP address on the
SAME SUBNET.  This is typically used for virtual-web servers and things of
that nature, as well as static NAT-ing on a NAT box so that the NAT box
answers for those other IP addresses.
*) I'm sure someone else will come up with another reason to use IP
Subinterfaces... the beauty of Linux: Flexibility and Power.