On 07 Oct 2002 10:01:41 +0100
Bob Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 10:10, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> > I have a partition with user accounts and all my stuff, whihc is not in
> > any OS partition. I typically make a partition for the OS itself,
> > putting the whole OS in the one partition. Selecting the partition gets
> > me the OS. Caldera, as an example, lets me put the partitions how I
> > want. I was just wondering to what extent Gentoo allows this as well.
>
> You can do this, but the reason Gentoo advocates a separate boot
> partition is security, as the default in its fstab is to not mount /boot
> automatically.  Also, you then can use the same /boot partition if you
> were to have Gentoo + another distribution, saving a bit of space.

Space saving would be ok. But as so much tends to be different in the distro
beyond the boot stuff, I am not sure I would realize a savings. Of course,
with a distro like gentoo, maybe package locations and all are more
'standard'.

Do you know if there is any doc somewhere that I may have missed that
describes putting everything in one partition? Maybe it is less involved
than I think. Time to experiment.

--
| Roger Oberholtzer          |   E-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |