[ snips ]

On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 09:30:54 +0200 Roger Oberholtzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I am planning on trying a gentoo install. I would like it all in one
> partition. Is this possible? The docs talk about different
> partitions for boot and root.

Just decline to create the /boot partition and don't mount it when
clled for during the install.   After installation is complete and
before rebooting, eliminate the line in /etc/fstab for the /boot
partition.  You may need to do something with grub on gentoo as well.
Since I mave multiple distros, I don't do the grub work recommended in
the gentoo install, but rather add the gentoo boot stanza to my
existing grub menu.lst.

< How many partitions can you have on a
> somewhat new 80 GB disk? I still have the 4 partitions idea. Out of
> date here? I have never really needed more on one system, so I never
> checked...

You can have 3 primary, one extended, and a very large number of
logical partitions under the extended partition.  I don't remember
what the limit is for logical partitions.  I use logical partitions
for most everything.

 --
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD? - Code Python
gentoo(since 01/01/01) now 1.4beta kernel 2.4.18+ ext3 GCC3.2