On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 17:10:29 +0200 Roger Oberholtzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:28:51 +0000
> Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > I am planning on trying a gentoo install. I would like it all in
> > > one partition. Is this possible? The docs talk about different
> > > partitions for boot and root.
> >
> > Just decline to create the /boot partition and don't mount it when
> > clled for during the install.   After installation is complete and
> > before rebooting, eliminate the line in /etc/fstab for the /boot
> > partition.  You may need to do something with grub on gentoo as
> > well. Since I mave multiple distros, I don't do the grub work
> > recommended in the gentoo install, but rather add the gentoo boot
> > stanza to my existing grub menu.lst.
>
> 'decline'? I was planning on following the steps for a stage 3
> install. Do you mean, perhaps, 'skip the part about...' in the
> steps?

My information may not be correct.  What I have done in the past (I
only do the install once in a blue moon when something major like gcc
3.2 changes), is to create the /boot partition as recommended and
follow the install instructions to the letter.  Then when I've
completed the install, I clone the system to a single partition with
/boot as part of the / partition.

> > You can have 3 primary, one extended, and a very large number of
> > logical partitions under the extended partition.  I don't remember
> > what the limit is for logical partitions.  I use logical
> > partitions for most everything.
>
> As I expected. Now, given that I have installed a zillion Unix/Linux
> distros, you would think I know the answer to this:
>
>  Will Linux (specifically gentoo) allow me to put these various
>  parts (e.g.,/boot) in logical partitions in the extended partition?
>  Is there any point?

No linux system (gentoo or any other) cares whether you use a primary
or a logical partition for any of its partitions.  The xxxxBSD
derivatives, on the other hand, only can use primary partitions.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area - WWTLRD? - Code Python
gentoo(since 01/01/01) now 1.4beta kernel 2.4.18+ ext3 GCC3.2