On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 07:28:51 +0000
Collins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I am planning on trying a gentoo install. I would like it all in one
> > partition. Is this possible? The docs talk about different
> > partitions for boot and root.
>
> Just decline to create the /boot partition and don't mount it when
> clled for during the install.   After installation is complete and
> before rebooting, eliminate the line in /etc/fstab for the /boot
> partition.  You may need to do something with grub on gentoo as well.
> Since I mave multiple distros, I don't do the grub work recommended in
> the gentoo install, but rather add the gentoo boot stanza to my
> existing grub menu.lst.

'decline'? I was planning on following the steps for a stage 3 install.
Do you mean, perhaps, 'skip the part about...' in the steps?

> You can have 3 primary, one extended, and a very large number of
> logical partitions under the extended partition.  I don't remember
> what the limit is for logical partitions.  I use logical partitions
> for most everything.

As I expected. Now, given that I have installed a zillion Unix/Linux
distros, you would think I know the answer to this:

 Will Linux (specifically gentoo) allow me to put these various parts (e.g.,
 /boot) in logical partitions in the extended partition? Is there any point?

--
| Roger Oberholtzer          |   E-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED] |