If you load each module, modprobe isn't needed. You might have have the same
result with:

modprobe usb-storage

What do you see with cdrecord -scanbus?

You could try other devices, like sda2, etc.

Is the camera plugged in and powered up? I find I have to insert my nikon
coolpix 2500 into the usb port when it is powered up, so the driver will see
it. If I attach the camera, then power it up, it doesn't get recognized.

I think.

Joel