On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 07:33:59PM -0800, Net Llama! wrote:
>On 02/06/03 19:28, Alan Jackson wrote:
>> I have what I hope is a simple problem.
>>
>> My home network is 3 Linux boxes behind a Netgear router/switch hooked
>> to a DSL modem.
>>
>> In the router I have turned off all the incoming ports except 22, and I
>> have that one pointing at 192.168.0.3 which is my son's machine so he
>> can ssh into his machine remotely.
>>
>> I would *also* like to ssh into *my* machine. How do I set that up? I have
>> a very rudimentary understanding of networking (does it show?).
>
>With your current setup, you can't ssh into it directly.  You'd have to
>ssh into your son's box, and then ssh from there to your own box.

This is how we do a lot of our support where either the firewall's a Linux
box that we can ssh to directly or we're using relatively dumb
router/switches without VPN capabilities.

We've been installing a fair number of LinkSys BEFVP41 VPN boxes which
allow IPSec tunnelling between private networks.  We these, it's possible
to access any reasonable machine on the far side (reasonable being defined
as *ix supporting ssh).  This makes it Really Nice(tm) when I'm at a
clients with my laptop since I have full access to systems on our LAN just
as though I were here.

Bill

It's very glamorous to raise millions of dollars, until it's time for the
venture capitalist to suck your eyeballs out.
                -- Peter Kennedy, chairman of Kraft & Kennedy.