On Thursday 06 February 2003 22:33 pm, Net Llama! wrote:
> On 02/06/03 19:28, Alan Jackson wrote:
> > I have what I hope is a simple problem.
> >
> > My home network is 3 Linux boxes behind a Netgear router/switch
> > hooked to a DSL modem.
> >
> > In the router I have turned off all the incoming ports except 22,
> > and I have that one pointing at 192.168.0.3 which is my son's
> > machine so he can ssh into his machine remotely.
> >
> > I would *also* like to ssh into *my* machine. How do I set that up?
> > I have a very rudimentary understanding of networking (does it
> > show?).
>
> With your current setup, you can't ssh into it directly.  You'd have
> to ssh into your son's box, and then ssh from there to your own box.

What I have done in a similar situation is to 'assign' a port for ssh for
each machine on the router.  You don't have to use port 22 for ssh and
in fact I think it's safer not to.

So say you 'assigned'

13044 port to your son's machine  (tell the router that)
13045 port to your machine

etc......

Then just use port 13045 when you want to ssh to your own machine.  Set
your /etc/ssh/sshd_config on your machine to use port 13045 as well.