On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 21:37:29 -0500
"Brett I. Holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why couldn't I say it like that!  That was one big factor when I
> thought about trying KDE 3.1 - it was all or nothing.
>

> Collins Richey wrote:
>
> > [ snips ]
> >
> > On Sat, 08 Feb 2003 13:17:26 -0500
> > "Brett I. Holcomb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> No, I'm not anti-KDE - I  just don't want to use it -. nor did I
> >speak
> > My basic objection to kde or gnome or glibc or mozilla or any other
> > sufficiently large piece of linux software is not so much the size
> > (although there is a lot of bloat), but the fact that you replace
> > all or nothing.  It's like replacing a brick wall because one brick
> > has worked its way loose!  Also, gnome and kde seem to reinvent the
> > basic framework and pattern of bricks with every release.  The same
> > problem exists with smaller projects like xfce, but you only need to
> > replace the equivalent of one eighth/quarter of a wall.

> >how> > bad it is?

The other factor that I forgot to add.  Typically when you try to
upgrade to a new version of one of these monsters, the update/install
doesn't go right and you're left with a mix of old and new and SOL
unless you have something reliable like XFCE to fall back to.

Unfortunately, the only way you can rely on KDE is not to rely on it.
In my case I have a perfectly usable desktop environment, so I can screw
around with KDE since it's not essential.

I fear, however, for the joe sixpack newbie linux user who wants to
update his KDE (or gnome or fill in the blanks).

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
Athlon-XP gentoo 1.4_rc2++ system xfce4-cvs