--- Matthew Carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If email doesn't go through because of a well-chosen
> blacklist (this includes
> RBL's which actually block SPAM servers, which I
> left out of my early post),
> the problem is theirs to fix, not yours.  The reason
> you choose RBL's
> CAREFULLY, is because not all RBL's are created
> equal.  SpamCop and (most of)
> Osirusoft are pretty reputable.  What I mean by that
> is, they are
> deterministic (they take complaints, verify when
> possible, and take action)
> and they are reasonable for removing a server.  This
> allows those servers
> which were blacklisted by mistake (Administrator
> mistake, that is) are able to
> correctly configure their server and easily submit a
> request and be removed
> from the RBL.
>
> I'm sorry, but Email administration is a job.  You
> have to learn how to do it.
>  There are many tools available to make it simpler,
> but as in all skilled
> trades, it helps to have friends who can help you
> learn...  Don't bicker to
> Computerworld about your email getting blocked or
> your site blocking email.
> Fix the problem.  Either reconfigure your servers,
> STOP SENDING SPAM, or don't
> use certain RBL's.  My point is that the bad RBL's
> don't make the good RBL's
> any less good.  Just don't use the bad ones...
>

> Examples of what is generally good to use (in
> sendmail.mc format):
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `Dialups.relays.OsiruSoft.com',
> `Dialup servers rejected by
> policy -- use the mail server your ISP provides')dnl
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `dnsbl.njabl.org', `', `')dnl
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `proxies.blackholes.wirehub.net',
> `', `')dnl
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `sbl.spamhaus.org', `', `')dnl
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `proxies.relays.monkeys.com', `',
> `')dnl
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `list.dsbl.org', `', `')dnl
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `dnsbl.sorbs.net', `', `')dnl
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `relays.ordb.org', `', `')dnl
> FEATURE(`dnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net', `')dnl
>       *note: you can pick and choose which to use.  I
> recommend using the
>       Dialups RBL, and OpenRelay RBL and a couple others.
>  I recommend 3-4
>       per server, but some very reputable professionals
> are running as many
>       as 6 or 7 on major servers.
>
> Examples of what NOT to use:
> selward               (xbl.sel.werd.cx)
> urbl          (The Ultimate RBL-Blocks all of IPv4 :)
> 510           (blackholes.5-10-sg.com)
> Spews         (spews.relays.osirusoft.com)
> DorkSlayers   (ztl.dorkslayers.com)
> Unfonfirmed   (Unconfirmed.dsbl.org)
> MultiHop      (multihop.dsbl.org)

An interesting list. I don't agree with you about
spamcop, having had some very difficult encounters
with them. Some of the sites that get listed there
seem to be done so at the personal whim of the guy who
runs it and can be very difficult to deal with.

I would add the bl servers at rfc-ignornant.org, which
includes :
postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org -- Sites that do not have
postmaster@ addresses
abuse.rfc-ignorant.org -- Sites that do not have
abuse@ addresses
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org -- Sites that do not accept
bounces
whois.rfc-ignorant.org -- Sites that do not have
proper WHOIS information

Gary