Mike Andrew wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001 23:54, Kurt Wall wrote:
> > Collins Richey wrote:
> > > Thanks Kurt for the fstab sample.  That did the trick.
> >
> > Ayup.
> >
> > Kurt
>
> For info. Rh72. fstab looks similar to Kurt, specifically
>
> LABEL=/1                /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
>

> LABEL incidentally will not work for /devfs file systems. Dunno why, and I
> can't find any documentation as to what LABEL actually does.

>From man 5 fstab:

        Instead of giving the device explicitly, one may  indicate
        the  (ext2 or XFS) filesystem that is to be mounted by its
        UUID or volume label (cf.   e2label(8)  or xfs_admin(8)),
        writing  LABEL=<label>  or UUID=<uuid>, e.g., `LABEL=Boot'
        or `UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106-a43f08d823a6'.  This will
        make  the  system  more robust: adding or removing a SCSI
        disk changes the disk device name but not the  filesystem
        volume label.

e2label prints and changes the label, as does tune2fs -L.

Kurt
--
If you think before you speak the other guy gets his joke in first.