Scribbling feverishly on January 14, Jim Conner managed to emit:
> Found another wrinkle on my system.  This may affect some and not others
> depending on hardware and such.  If you have DMA turned on when you compiled
> the kernel, it will enable DMA for the cdrom and cdrw.  This will cause a
> kernel oops when you mount the cd and the only way out is the reset button.

Well, possibly. The two kernel configuration directives that affect
this are CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI. If you
said yes to the first, so no, recompile, and see if the workaround
below is still necessary.

> I got around it by doing this.  I put these two lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
>
> hdparm -d0 /dev/hdd
> hdparm -d0 /dev/hde

This will work, of course, but may not be necessary.

> Please change this to reflect your appropriate drives.  It turns off DMA for
> the two drives and every thing works just perfect.  Well, almost, cd audio
> doesn't work no matter what I try.  Although I haven't tried the obligatory
> sacrificial chicken on the keyboard. :)

Well, as the old timers on this list and its predecessor (RIP) know,
chicken feet boast heap big mojo...

Kurt
--
Never reveal your best argument.