On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:36:09 -0800 (PST)
Net Llama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --- Mike Andrew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 04:34, Net Llama wrote:
> >
> > > Oh gawd no.  Kudzu is the biggest flaming POS i've come across in
> > all of Linux.  I've stopped counting the number of boxes that its
> > locked up, fubarred or othewise rendered useless.
> >
> > The part of kudzu I am impressed with is it's auto-detection of added
> > / removed hardware during boot up.  Obviously, whoever is writing
> > kudzu is maintaininga  data base of quirks and features of each device
> > as encountered. better he does, than I have to.  But he's not doing
> > such a great job of it.  I've seen quite alot of hardware get
> > mis-identified.
>
> > Sour grapes Llllama, auto detection aint that tuff, hell, the
> > unmentionable
> > os has had it since 1995, so it's been a long time coming. If kudzu
> > aint that
> > good, there has to be a better one, real soon now. It's needed.
>
> I dunno.  I realize this isn't the univeral answer, or the popular one,
> but i'm of the the school that i'd rather 'detect' and configure my own
> hardware.  Makes for a much easier kernel building experience down the
> road.

Unless I miss my guess, Llllama, kudzu isn't designed for guys like you
who know what they're doing and like to change the spark plug wires
themselves.  It's designed for the unwashed masses who don't give a rat's
pitooty about tinkering with the system.  Granted it's got a ways to go,
but to call it a POS is a little strong.  Most of the software we love to
use (or to hate) was a POS in its early days.  I would wish the kudzu guys
best of luck.  I disabled it on my elx distro, because I didn't plan to
change any hardware, but it was certainly harmless when I had it enabled.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - FreeBSD 4.4 + xfce + sylpheed