On Monday 04 Feb 2002 11:42, Keith Antoine wrote:
> On Sunday 03 February 2002 12:59 pm, Peter Ruskin warbled:
> > I've always detested the Mandrakised menus but you don't have to
> > suffer them.  If you start menudrake and select "standard" menu then
> > log out, when you log in again the menus are as you expect them.
>
> Which version of Mandrake do you have. I started MenuDrake up; I think,
> and could not find that "standard" menu tag anywhere (8.1)...........

I have 8.1 and Cooker, Keith.  Do menudrake -> Action -> Menu style ->
Standard menu.

> > I use mostly KDE and I've added a single "Quick Browser" on kicker
> > pointing to /usr/share/applnk-mdk -- just to see if I may be missing
> > anything after upgrades.
>
> Now thats something that I have not been able to fathom out how to do.
> There is nothing to say how to get online and upgrade the files. I
> found the the mandrake control centre and click on System -> Software
> Manager. I then have a small window 'configure a source', click on this
> it gives me sources but from here on I am lost: too bloody complicated.
> All i want to do is like Suse upload the updates and install them.

There are loads of mirrors, I use these ( I won't list Cooker because you
probably won't want that ) :
        ftp://ftp.sunet.se/Mandrake-devel/contrib/
        ftp://ftp.sunet.se/Mandrake/updates/8.1/
        ftp://ftp.sunet.se/Mandrake-devel/unsupported/8.1/
I believe that Software Manager will check the net if you're online and
find sources for you.

--
Peter Ruskin, Wrexham, Wales.  AMD Athlon XP 1600+, 512MB RAM.
Registered Linux User 219434.  Mandrake Linux release 8.1 (Vitamin)