Henry Spencer wrote:
On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Keld =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Simonsen wrote:

Actually it is funny that you call it Unicode. UTF-8 clearly comes from
the 10646 side of UCS, Unicode did not invent it at all...
It did not come from 10646 either; it came from the *Unix* side of the
house, specifically from X/Open.
I thought it came from Plan 9 (Rune) then passed to X-Open (FSS-UTF?).
Did I miss something? Note I was not there at this time.

And my understanding is that it was
> originally specifically an encoding for Unicode

Agreed. I can't find the page from Rob Pike (or was it Brian Kernighan?) describing the "history" of the tranformation, but another text from Rob
Pike about Plan 9 clearly explains that they disregard 10646 because of
the (then) 31/32-bit space with sparse sets and national allocation
(that was before the Unification, of course.)

> (although the distinction quickly became academic because of the conversion
> of 10646 into a Unicode clone).

Antoine

--
Linux-UTF8: i18n of Linux on all levels