On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Antoine Leca wrote:
> > [UTF-8] did not come from 10646 either; it came from the *Unix* side of the
> > house, specifically from X/Open.
>
> I thought it came from Plan 9 (Rune) then passed to X-Open (FSS-UTF?).
> Did I miss something? Note I was not there at this time.

Markus has helpfully explained this (especially helpful since I didn't
have much detail on the earliest history):  Plan 9 was the earliest major
implementation but didn't actually originate it.  Plan 9 in fact started
with a different Unicode encoding, but switched when UTF-8 appeared.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]