Jan> setxkbmap "gr(polytonic)+level3(lwin_switch)"

Jan> It should be possible to change from the default keyboard to classical
Jan> Greek (and back) by some hotkey instead of a setxkbmap command.

You can accomplish that part by specifying multiple keymaps on the
setxkbmap line.

I use this command for my standard setup:

setxkbmap -layout us,el,ru,il -variant ,,phonetic,phonetic \
          -option ctrl:nocaps -option grp_led:scroll \
          -option compose:menu -option grp:ctrls_toggle \
          -option altwin:super_win

that gives me four layouts (the max that can be set at any given time)
which I can scroll through by pressing both control keys together (
that is the grp:ctrls_toggle option).  When I am in anything other
than the us map the scroll lock led is on (the grp_led:scroll option).
I also have the cap lock key be a control key and the menu key a
compose key.

Or at least I used to.  el no longer works for me.

(The goal was to cover Latin/Greek/Cyrillic; I thru il in as well just
cause I could....)

I also lack a good key to waste as a level3 key.  (The laptop lacks a
right win key¹ and I use the left win key for icewm.)

-JimC

¹ In fact the Fn key plus the left win key generates the keycode of
  the right win key, but it cannot be used as a modifyier because
  non-Fn-special keys are ignored when holding down Fn....

--
James H. Cloos, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>