Alexandros Diamantidis wrote:
[sorry for taking a few days to reply...]

* Jan Willem Stumpel [2006-01-18 14:41]:

This does not work in my case. Also interchanging the entries (US first,
then GR) did not work. I mean you can get the accents, but not the
breathing signs. Strangely enough, even calling

LANG=el_GR.UTF-8 xterm

and then doing things in the new xterm, did not work! I don't understand
why. I have the el_GR.UTF-8 locale installed.

I really wonder why... I thought if you had a ~/.XCompose file, your
locale didn't matter (except if you specifically used it in that file,
by doing 'include "%L"'). Maybe it's not used at all?

I think it did not work because I am trying out scim and uim. I must
have been running scim at the time. It seems that when scim is running,
only its own internal version of the compose file is used. Customisations in ῀/.XCompose do not work at all. With uim, they work. The Greek entry must of course come second in the ῀/.XCompose file. I do not know how uim does it.

This also means that when you run scim, the ogonek and horn do not work as breathing signs even if the locale is el_GR.UTF-8, because scim's internal copy of the Compose file is only the "common" one.

Regards, Jan