Yes the Turn A's chest is designed for missiles. In "Mead Gundam", the drafts clearly indicates, with graphics and captions, that it can fit 8 missiles, in which 2 are for special missiles, whatever they are. In fact Tomino's notes on the TAG (and implies to other TAG MS designs) is "there's lower body, and there the whole upper body is for weapons".

While TAG look is very curvy and futuristic, Syd Mead designed TA as a weapon, in fact goes into quite details on them... and Tomino barely use one or two of them.

While you'd think, hey it must be Tomino ignoring/screwing others again, think about the position TAG the MS is in the storyline: it's a military weapon (probably very advance even in its own era) that's recovered by a generation centuries later with a less-advanced technology in most places.

So the MSs should be designed very futuristic YET very functional as a weapon, which I think Syd Mead delivers. And the story should shows how these weapons could be put to bad use in battles AND good use outside of battles, which I think Tomino delivered.

Loran and most MS pilots in the show probably have discovered and make used of a very small portion of these weaponry are capable of. Loran found "bombs", so he put it into the only secure place he can imagine... inside TA, and happens to found one in the missile pod.

However I would expect him to know about the actual usage of these missile pods, but, hey, the nuclear weapon doesn't fit (remember how he put soil into TA to secure the warhead inside). As Core doesn't remember a thing on this at all we have to forgive him (he got a cute toddler girl... so forgive him. I forgets a lot too) for assuming nuclear warheads are "one size fits all".

As of whether TAG ever launches missiles from the hatch? AFAIR, no, but if it's in that 5 seconds of the final duel between Turn X and Turn A... it happened too fast, I can't tell now... but I still think not.

Worth mentioning that while the front hatch is known to all from the anime and lineart, the back hatch for loading missiles are only shown in Mead Gundam and now implemented in MG. It's so unknown that one blog thought it's for "Moonlight Butterfly"!

(Did the animation crew ended up interpreting them for MB or did MB just came out of all the seams on TAG's back? needs to check the final episodes again....)