On Sun, 7 Feb 1999, Gordon Cook wrote:

> Thanks to Dianne for putting this up.
> The current ICANN with its closed board "ain't gonna" make it.  Esther, in
> my opinion, needs to quit fund raising and plan a SERIOUS round of
> reconstruction for this currently still born organization at Apricot.  The
> resignation of the current board and selection of a new one and the
> revision of the bylaws need to be the first order of business.

I have to disagree.  If the current board is told that they should
simply replace themselves and resign, what makes you think that their
replacements would be any better?

Look at things from the point of view of candidate replacement board
members.  Anyone signing up will know, if they have a modicum of sense,
that they are being asked to fill seats judged by their previous
occupants to be uncomfortably hot.  I think that it was difficult
enough to recruit the current board.  This suggests that the replacement
board would be markedly worse than the current board.

The only way forward for ICANN is for the current board to get their
act together.  If they can't, ICANN should be allowed to go the way of
all lost causes, and we should put our energies into figuring out some
other way of handling its responsibilities.

I am not advocating abandoning ICANN.  I do think that some people
should be putting some energy into working quietly on alternative
approaches. Most of us should be trying to make ICANN work, for
example by urging them to open up their proceedings and castigating
them for hiring PR agencies instead.

--
Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net        tel +44 117 929 1316