We receive the interface network configuration on the WAN via DHCP.
This works, however somehow our ISP or the modem pushes a domain
name to the pfSense box which is undesirable.

I assume that the DHCP client requests the domain name. I have set
our domain name in

  System → General Setup → Domain

But it still keeps appearing in the network. So the solution would
be to remove the “domain-name” part from the requests list. There is
the form field

  Interfaces → WAN → DHCP client configuration → Advanced → Request Options

What I want to do is to remove “domain-name” from this list. But
it's empty. Therefore I assume it's using some default values.

How can I remove the “domain-name” from the DHCP request list
without altering anything else? Or if this is the wrong approach,
how to ignore the domain being pushed on the network by the ISP?

Marco