On Fri 02 Sep 2016 10:14:59 NZST +1200, Todd Russell wrote:

> I will just run level 2 SpinRite on the SSD to force the drive to read
> every spot, which should trigger the error correction if that is happening.

Ehh, you use what for that? Toss spinrite into the bit bucket as
suggested. Log into your pfsense (or any unix!), obtain root
priviledges, and run
  dd bs=16k if=/dev/yourdisk of=/dev/null

Use what you have!! Why install extra cr^H^H^Hstuff? dd *always* works
as exected. Change buffer size as you see fit, and add an option to
prevent block buffering (if supported by bsd and if it works like

> plenty experience with that scourge.  :/  I did use the diagnostics in the
> web gui to check the SMART info and it didn't say anything out of the
> ordinary, but I have seen at least 2 Samsung SSDs over the years lose data
> with no warning and no errors in SMART.

The SMART info is effectively a status collected over time. Sectors going
bad without detectable warning by necessitiy don't give SMART a chance.
Ditto disks that fail suddenly and catastrophically. SMART is not a
fix-all, but is is very very usful in many cases.

Volker Kuhlmann                 is list0570 with the domain in header.
http://volker.top.geek.nz/      Please do not CC list postings to me.