According to the specs that I found on HP's website, your HP switch does
not support 10Gb, only 1Gb on its mini-GBIC ports. You will definitely need
a new switch to take advantage of 10Gb.

If you do get a switch that supports 10GBase-T, you should definitely
consider the Intel X540. The vast majority of reports that I have seen say
that it works great. (There was one report I found on a forum claiming
performance issues, but others on the same thread said it worked fine for
them.)

There are also many dual-port SFP+ cards out there (such as the Intel X520)
that are not too expensive and support lots of different types of SFP+
connectors. Although Intel does not make a 10GBase-T SFP+ itself, there are
third parties that make it. You would use one of those to connect to the
10GbE feed into the rack and then a regular fiber SFP (or the option listed
below) to connect to the switch.

To connect the pfSense to the switch, I would probably use a Direct-Attach
cable (DAC) instead of fiber or Ethernet. Approved Optics
<http://approvedoptics.com/> is a company that makes many OEM network
connectors under contract and they also make their own versions of them at
significantly reduced prices. Their DAC Finder
<http://approvedoptics.com/dac-finder/> tool lets you order a cable that
has SFP+ ends for different manufacturers (for example, an Intel end for
your pfSense and an HP end for your switch). There's no need to worry about
fiber or CAT7A Ethernet cables; just plug the cable in (taking care to make
sure it is oriented correctly) and that's it.

Since you have a limited budget, I really recommend going the
direct-attached route. They are so much cheaper and more resilient than
fiber, and switches with SFP+ slots are often much cheaper than switches
with 10GbE. For example, you can get a Uniquiti EdgeSwitch with 48 Gb ports
and 2 SFP+ ports for just around $400. These are the switches I have used
in many of our limited-budget installations in the past (including in a
University setting like yours seems to be from your email address) and they
perform well. (Note that Approved Optics does not have official Ubiquiti
cables, but many on the Ubiquiti forums report that it works with Cisco and
other brand cables as long as they are 2 meters or shorter. In a single
rack, that should not be an issue.)

Moshe

--
Moshe Katz