Patrick H. Lauke skrev:
Joseph Bernhardt wrote:
I run an apache server and utilize the .htaccess file to run a php script on a 404 error. This php script grabs the contents of the current uri to display information. (example: www.joughslife.com/Rockport.html) My question is, will this have any effect as far as usability?

One question: why not use mod_rewrite instead? It's cleaner from a conceptual point of view, and won't send out an http status of 404. Using the error document functionality for this seems a bit of a perversion of its intended use...
I thought this was the intended use of the ErrorDocument directive?! (what else could it be?)
And sending a 404 for a page that doesn't exist is a good thing, in my view.

I use mod_rewrite and Php for all handling of URIs, but send a 404 when a page is not found. You can send a normal web page with a 404 http status, just be careful to make the resulting HTML long enough, otherwise IE will display it's own error message instead. I can't remember the number of bytes right now ...

/AndersN