Firstly, I would like to differentiate between standards compliance and
accessibility. Standards Compliance does not equal accessibility and
accessibility does not equal standards compliance. A website can be not
complying with standards and still be accessible by the majority of people.
And just because a website complies with standards certainly does not mean
it's accessible.

The reason I would like to make this difference is because I certainly agree
with you that if a government website is obviously inaccessible and it could
be expected to be improved, organisations such as Vision Australia and other
associations that represent users with disabilities should voice their
concerns and attempt to force a change.

However, I do not believe that it is the job of any of those organisations
to go and test websites for standards compliance and send out notices or
award some kind of certificates. They certainly have got better things to do
than that. Do you know how many websites they would have to go and test? And
what if those websites are standards compliant - does it mean they are
therefore accessible or user-friendly for visually disabled users? Not
really.

I would suggest that it is the role of the individual to find problematic
websites and report them. However, the reporting process could go perhaps
through the channels of organisations such as Vision Australia or RNIB, as
they have got a stronger voice.