Andreas Boehmer [Addictive Media] wrote:
Now that websites are moving more towards application style, they should
really behave like applications as we are accustomed to. And a fact is that
applications require pop-up windows at certain stages. Mostly when
information is provided that falls outside of a linear process. The typical
example: a user fills out a form and wants to read the Terms and Conditions.
Or a user works in MS Word and wants to read the Help File.
Never do those applications provide the user with the option of opening the
supplementary information in the same window. For a good reason: the users
would get taken out of the linear process they are in and potentially loose
whatever they were working on. Just imagine you would loose your 200-page
thesis in MS Word just because you didn't specifically request the HELP
information to open in a new window.

So if websites are becoming applications, why shouldn't they behave in the
same fashion that we are accustomed to from other applications?
In Word, if I decide to go to a new document, I expect it to open in the
main window. Ergo: On the web, if the user decides to go to a different
website, it should open in the main window.

In Word, if I decide to access information that help me work with the
current document (e.g. help file, save dialog, document preferences) I
expect them to open in a pop-up window. Why should it be any different on
the web?

Making "target" an invalid attribute for links is plain stupid. It forces
developers to revert to some javascript ways of opening a new window which
potentially makes websites extremely user-unfriendly for people with
javascript disabled.
Developers should be educated in the correct use of the target attribute,
eliminating it just creates a whole new problem.

At last, some fresh air, & unblinkered thinking! About 18 months ago, I vented my feelings about this:

http://www.marscovista.fsnet.co.uk/scribbles/windows.html

It won't hurt to say it again, as nothing has changed! :-)

--
Best Regards,

Bob McClelland

Cornwall (UK)