1. Let us not kick anyone in the balls.

Agreed...especially with heavy boots..LoL..onward:

What frustrates me most about screen reader software for the web is
the fact that the only way for them to get information from a document
is to flatten and remove ~2/3's (CSS and script) of the factors that
(possibly) are contributing to the presentation as a whole (be it
audio/visual/etc.)

After working with desktop software for a while before moving to the
web, I can tell you that there really aren't any layout considerations
done on behalf of the software to help accessibility clients (such as
screen readers).  Why???  Two reasons:

1) The isn't any other way to develop the software for the desktop
(you can't change the layout, there are no style sheets to remove,
etc.)

2) From a 'semantic structure' point of view (if there is such a thing
for desktop software), these type s of applications are a mess -
windows nested within windows ad nauseum (OS windows mind you).

3) The are specific API's designed to help convey information to
accessibility clients from the software (Microsoft's Active
Accessibility API comes to mind).

So, in a nutshell, I guess what I'm miffed about is that world of the
web has no matching counterpart, be it in script, tag attributes, or
otherwise, to help accessibility clients discover and convey
information about a site..  Seems like a very big gap, IMO.

Thoughts???
Mike