liorean wrote:

> How is an element any more accessible (theoretically of course,
> considering how bad the support situation for generated content and
> styling of pseudo elements is) than a pseudo element?

The question half answers itself - one is "real", the other pseudo (Def:
"being apparently rather than actually as stated" - Merriam-Webster Online
Dictionary).

Using pseudo elements and CSS will give you a visual rendering that is not
always going to be exposed to various forms of adaptive technology - the
elements are not real.  Or, as Andrew said, "..."has semantic value"/"is
content": the meaning may be subtle but nevertheless IS meaning."

Earlier in this thread, I reported how the current batch of mainstream
screen readers are currently processing the <hr /> element.  While we may
not be happy or agree with their implementation, the simple fact remains
that there is an element in the DOM that these tools acknowledge and process
- how and why the do what they do is a secondary conversation/thread.

We can discuss the appropriateness of a separator element or a soon-to-be
deprecated Horizontal rule element, and it's role in (visual) semantic
structure, but to me we must also consider it's role in the DOM hierarchy,
and what role it may play there.  This is something that CSS pseudo styling
cannot yet address, and may in fact never.

JF