I looked over the thread you included below.  I can't tell from that whether
the suggestion was to port log4j2.  Not sure if the comment about starting
log4net 2.0 "from scratch" is an indication of having it be a port of log4j2.

In my mind the biggest benefit would be to have the same architecture/feature
set running on both linux and windows.  Of course it would also be great if the
releases were synchronized.  I know a big gripe of log4net is that it's not
getting rev'd.

I would be interested in helping if the goal is to bring log4net in sync with
log4j2.  And by this I guess I mean port as that would seem the easiest and
safest path to the goal.

I haven't worked on any open source project in the past.  I'm curious, how does
this work?  Who's coordinating and making the decisions?

Thanks,
Nick