Subject: Re: Why is log4net not more similar to log4j(2)?
From: ralph.go...@dslextreme.com
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 11:25:40 -0700
CC: log4net-u...@logging.apache.org
To: log4j-user@logging.apache.org

To answer your last question, at the ASF the project committers decide what
they are going to do. They make decisions by discussing their ideas on the
mailing list.  In some ways, the ASF is a “do-ocracy”. You can make all the
recommendations you want, but ultimately it is up to whoever implements it.
Take a look at http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html.
Ralph

On Sep 18, 2015, at 7:32 AM, Nicholas Duane <nic...@msn.com> wrote:I looked
over the thread you included below.  I can't tell from that whether the
suggestion was to port log4j2.  Not sure if the comment about starting log4net
2.0 "from scratch" is an indication of having it be a port of log4j2.

In my mind the biggest benefit would be to have the same architecture/feature
set running on both linux and windows.  Of course it would also be great if the
releases were synchronized.  I know a big gripe of log4net is that it's not
getting rev'd.

I would be interested in helping if the goal is to bring log4net in sync with
log4j2.  And by this I guess I mean port as that would seem the easiest and
safest path to the goal.

I haven't worked on any open source project in the past.  I'm curious, how does
this work?  Who's coordinating and making the decisions?

Thanks,
Nick