My configuration is definitely being used -- I have two appender references
(RollingFile and JDBC) under the root logger and events are being written
to the file appender.

Unfortunately, setting status="debug" had no effect. That might be because
log4j sends those messages to the console and there isn't one for my (GUI)
application. Apparently console != stdout here, because my app intercepts
data written to stdout/stderr and sends a copy to a logger but nothing is
showing up in my file. Is there a logger name for which I can set the
logging level instead?

Setting -Dlog4j.debug doesn't appear to have any effect either. :(