David Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 02:46:34PM -0600, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 08:28:25PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> > > lynx -source http://go-gnome.com/ | sh
> >
> > That's cute!
>
> It's more than cute.  It's *BRILLIANT*.  The user doesn't even have to
> know what computer they have.  Whilst they only support a couple of
> combinations of architecture and OS in that script, it would be pretty
> damned trivial to have it support a few Linux distros, Solaris, *BSD
> and MacOS X.

How do you resume your gnome download if your modem disconnects?

How do you know how much data is being transfered and at what rate
(whether you have time to make a tea or a three course meal).  The FTP
client I use tells me first and I don't what to use anything else.

It's a pretty lame script which is dependent on the presence of lynx
in order to download.  This road ends with the distributor supplying
their own lynx all to use one small feature of the program and leads
to bloat.

It also assumes that the lynx on the system has been correctly
configured for firewalls and the like.

I thought the Helix gnome install was one of the worse I ever saw --
they were trying to look like windows but hadn't done it properly by
thinking about all possible error cases.

I would have prefered a short list of RPMs and FTP.  Why should it
have a "special" install and why can't it install like everything else?

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    "my watch with a black face .. has the date in a little hole in the face"