In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Cos the 'special' install is a damned sight less hassle for most users than
> downloading 50 RPMs?  If you want to download individual packages you can.

Surely, then, rpm should have the ability to install and fetch
dependencies from the network automagically?

On OpenBSD (and possibly the other *BSD's, I know not), doing this:

  pkg_add ftp://ftp.plig.org/pub/OpenBSD/2.8/packages/i386/moo.tgz

will not only ftp the file for me, but will check for dependencies and,
if necessary, ftp and install those first.  Much like CPAN.pm, except
without the insane desire to install Perl5.6 at every opportunity.
--
rob partington % [EMAIL PROTECTED] % http://lynx.browser.org/