On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 12:05:41PM +0100, Philip Newton wrote:
> I believe the reasoning given is data protection -- people consented to have
> their name and number in a book but only for the usual use: looking up a
> number by name. And that people are not allowed to provide reverse search
> unless they have the consent of all the people involved.

I may be *completely* wrong on this one, but doesn't Data Protection work
the other way around? i.e. as long as you state what you're doing it's up
to people to opt out, rather than opt in?

Of course, this might be different in Germany, than in the UK, and I don't
really know much about Data Protection in the UK either ...

Just curious.

Tony
 Tony Bowden | Belfast, NI | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | www.tmtm.com | www.blackstar.co.uk
          may my mind stroll about hungry and fearless and thirsty and supple