On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, alex wrote:

> easier said than done - it's a lot easier to hire good people than
> convince clients that perl is the way forward - i may be wrong but i think
> there are less and less big Perl projects out there available to perl
> consultancies.  once you get to a particular price bracket (necessary to
> afford and retain uber perl hackers) people start wanting to hear the
> corporate technology buzzwords - j2ee, open market, bea, sap, siebel etc

This does appear to be true, mind you many companies are recruiting perl
developers for themselves. This is healthy. I think a lot of companies see
j2ee, weblogic, etc as 'safe' despite quite catastrophic failures and the
high cost (the price of a consultant or contractor for any of these buzz
technologies is 2 or 3 times the price for less trendy technologies).

I think java is likely to be associated with a load of spectacular
failures. I don't think any project has failed because of cost or flaws in
perl, and major companies are migrating towards perl and oss in
general. many vendors like weblogic are claiming sites liek amazon use
technology when they have migrated to perl.

perhaps its time to beat these vendors at their own game with a list of
their clients who have migrated.

A.

--
<A HREF = "http://termisoc.org/~betty"> Betty @ termisoc.org </A>
"As a youngster Fred fought sea battles on the village pond using a