> The "J2EE platform" consists of so many disparate technologies
> that it's very hard to generalise about it. It's quite easy
> to get a non-Java program to talk to an HTTP servlet, for
> example :-)

:) I was thinking of EJB, specifically. Once you put a load of logic into
beans, it seems damned hard to use them without the rest of the Java based
infrastructure.

> Presumably most people build solutions around e.g. weblogic,
> rather than doing everything from raw ingredients.

Yes, they do. Pity. I'm starting to be of the opinion that having a platform
that will scale nicely tomorrow is no reason to have a platform that is 3
times as complex as it needs to be today.