On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 01:31:36PM +0100, Simon Wistow wrote:

> You use the RPC::Automagic module and pass it a RPC server/port/user
> name/password/whatever. From that point on it overloads the use keyword
> and anything you try and use it will actually connect to the RPC server
> and pass it all the parameters. Any modules you didn't want froma
> remote server you just use them before you use the RPC module. Or tell
> it to ignore those.

What a lovely idea!
You could also push a code-ref onto @INC, so that modules which
aren't found locally get used remotely. Probably less useful though,
because you'd want to know which modules

> It then use AUTOLOAD to intercept any calls to these modules that have
> been included remotley and passes those onto the remote server which
> executes them and then passes the results back.

So you'd serialise the whole object with every method call?
Could be rather slow...

A stateful server would definitely help here.

> There might be some problems with special cases (references?)

I don't see why.
File::Find might behave differently than it would locally though :-)

> I think too much Java has rotted my brain.

Ditto,

 .robin.

--
Flee to me, remote elf!