On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, dcross - David Cross wrote:
> [broken quoting snipped]
> > You want the GPL for that. Which means that you can't use my copyright
> > message as it includes the Artisitc License - which doesn't disallow your
> > point 2.
>
> The GPL doesn't stop you selling the derived work. What it *does* do,
> however is to say that the derived work must be under a GPL-compatible
> license, which makes it, in general, uneconomical to sell the work.

The common mis-perception about the GPL is that you can't sell or profit
from selling GPL software.

You can sell at any price you like, the software with or without nice
pakcaging and manuals, you can sell the support at any price you like and
you can sell the manuals at any price you like. All you have to do is
publish it under the GPL and make the source available at cost price or
reasonabley close.

A.

--
<A HREF = "http://termisoc.org/~betty"> Betty @ termisoc.org </A>
"As a youngster Fred fought sea battles on the village pond using a